For all minimal risk studies:
Federal regulations require that we inform participants about our institution's policy with regard to compensation and payment for treatment of research-related injuries.
If you believe that you have sustained an injury as a result of participating in a research study, you may contact the Principal Investigator at (___) ___-_____ so that you can review the matter and identify the medical resources that may be available to you.
For more than minimal risk studies please use the following standard language:
In case of injury, New York State Psychiatric Institute will provide short term emergency medical treatment, which has been determined to be necessary by New York State Psychiatric Institute's doctors, and which is within the capability of New York State Psychiatric Institute to provide. In addition, we will provide assistance in arranging follow up care in such instances.
New York State Psychiatric Institute and Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene do not provide compensation or payment for treatment of research related injuries. However, you should be aware that you do not give up your legal right to seek such compensation through the court by participating in this research.
For studies conducted at or funded through Columbia University Medical Center, please include the following additional information regarding the injury compensation policy must be included. The following language is recommended:
Please be aware that:
- The New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University and New York Presbyterian Hospital will furnish that emergency medical care determined to be necessary by the medical staff of this hospital
- You will be responsible for the cost of such care, either personally or through your medical insurance or other form of medical coverage.
- No monetary compensation for wages lost as a result of injury will be paid to you by * the New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University or by New York Presbyterian Hospital.
- By signing this consent form, you are not waiving any of your legal rights to seek compensation through the courts.
* If funding is through Research Foundation, this should say "....Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, the New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University and New York Presbyterian Hospital."
For studies conducted at CUMC, click here.